Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day 17: Tom. Ketchup Sample #1



I think I might have just made a PCP friendly ketchup! This is the best I could do so far;


1 heaped tablespoon of tomato puree
1-ish teaspoon of cider vinegar (best to just add this to taste)
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon honey (just to bring a little sweetness!)






Okay, so I know it doesn't have the nice viscosity and silky, smooth appearance that bought ketchup has but hey it's healthy, so there!

And the beauty of it is that it's quick (that's why they call it ketchup) and you can change the ratio of ingredients to suit your taste.

And it was fun making it!

Other things I did consider adding but didn't;
paprika (more for aesthetics than anything, for a warmer colour)
garlic powder and onion power (these are in the ingredients of packaged ketchup, but I don't have any at home and have a feeling these things might have added salt)

I also want to try a version that's cooked and reduced down. That might enhance the flavours more.

So please try it for yourself and tell me what you think and, tell me if you add anything else to the recipe. I'm thinking of having it with some sweet potato wedges and steamed lemon sole and veg.

And Patrick, you need to create a PCP recipe book!!!

3 comments:

  1. Naomi, this is awesome!

    I may try and add some roasted garlic and for a nice kick, how about some ground red pepper spice? Cayenne? I agree, time consuming, but i bet a cooked version will really bring the flavours together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice recipe, I'll try it. Most garlic powder is just, well, powdered garlic, no salt. We're working on the cookbook now!

    ReplyDelete