Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Day 38: Help wanted!!

Need some advice guys!

I'm going to a wedding this weekend, what am I to do?

What am I to do about dinner and dessert and wedding cake(I bet it's going to be a nice one too)??

I can't weight my food. I can't sit there and push my food around on my plate. I can't predict what's going to be given to me. I won't be served eggs, that's for sure.

Help!

What would you do in situations like this where you really have no say whatsoever in what you're given to eat?

What shall I do?

What would be the best approach for the day, given the nature of the event?

Hopefully I'll be served some veg with dinner that I can eat, maybe some fruit with dessert....

Who knows....?

4 comments:

  1. Being a vegetarian, I'm sure it's nothing you've not experienced before. Most events I attend are severely limited when it comes to veg-friendly offerings. Vegetables and low-fat healthy foods are somehow less celebratory (at least that's what a large chunk of the US thinks).

    If the event is catered, you can ask a server to help you out. I've been surprised sometimes and delivered a full veggie plate. (Which looked far better than the gravy soaked fare of table-mates!)

    My advice is to eat before, pack a snack (really, I've done that), sip lots of water and tea, mingle, and have fun watching your mind. That's the real experiment, especially when the tempting foods make an appearance. What does your mind say to you when that lovely cake shows up?

    Good luck and let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happened to me back in August (Day 22). What I did was pack my own PCP dinner and nighttime snack. When everyone got up to to go the buffet table, I just unpacked my meal. The table I was assigned was filled with my friends who knew that I was on this program, so there was no awkwardness whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the very least, you can also just be mindful of your portions—try to eyeball your amounts. I've only encountered this issue at restaurants, when at least I could choose my order. But like Shelly, I have also found the servers to be really helpful in pointing me toward the best options for my diet. Though the food still has more oil and salt, etc., I certainly ate less than I would have pre-PCP, and I didn't feel like it set me back.

    As for the cake, sadly, skip it. There will be many more cakes to come when the 90 days are up—just remember how you felt after your indulgence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there. I agree with all of those who have commented. Two choices: bring your own in plastic ziplock bags...something that can withstand alittle temperature changes (fruit is good), or eat sparingly and wisely with meal offered. Enjoy and let us know what you decided!

    ReplyDelete