Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 13; Week3, here I come!

Today’s blog is going to be long because I want to review the last few days as a whole.

My PCP group and I end this week’s PCP diet and workout regime today. Looking back on this week, despite having some difficult days, overall I’ve really enjoyed the food and the exercise sessions have been relatively enjoyable too and, at least they’ve been quick.

I do hate lunges though; I find them so boring and not very effective.
I also think I have fear of them because of my old knee injury, I’m probably afraid of taking myself to the edge with my lunges, so I’m not entirely focused or relaxed when doing them. I’m aware I’m holding back with these and need to work on my technique.

My week has been very busy with attending Law Society seminars and undertaking a lot of new pro bono legal work involving a lot of travel through the City. I’ve also just started a new meditation course and I’m looking for a new French language course so I’ve got a lot on.

Because of this change in my schedule, I’ve felt tired and sometimes hungry when I’ve not been able to eat a lunch other that some fruit.

But on the whole, I’ve dealt with the situation and not got anxious or agitated as I would have in the past. Perhaps this is a reflection of the PCP diet allowing me to develop more control over my food, whereas before I think my food controlled me.
So far this week, I’ve not craved any high salt/fat/sugary snack foods – also probably because I’m being so well fed.

So this weekend was quite special. Saturday was my friend’s Hen Party, and a few girls went down to the South Coast to celebrate her few final days of ‘singledom’.
I am aware that these are the times when, taken out of our routines, the PCP is going to be tough. Especially when being invited somewhere where we don’t get much control over what food‘s on offer.

So lunch was afternoon cream teas, sounds lovely doesn’t it? And very English.
Just look at those delectable cakes and sandwiches!!!




Don’t they look nice? Well, yes maybe, but I didn’t touch one! Not even the champagne.

I drank my Darjeeling tea and ate my fruit salad (which was lovely), whilst the other hens around me clucked; “Well she’s doing that diet thing, isn’t she?” and “Are you sure you can’t eat one tiny scone?” and “What about some jam?” or “Champagne doesn’t have any fat”!

They did make me laugh. Quite endearing really.

As if I’ve never eaten all these weird and wonderful foods before me and the very sight of them is torturing me inside. Surely I should give in to temptation. But I wasn’t particularly tempted anyway, so I didn’t.

I do think my fruit salad was drenched in some kind of sugared fruit juice, which made the fruit taste a bit artificial, but I did my best to drain the fruit pieces and drank my wonderful tea. Yummy!

I’ve noticed from speaking to people this last week, that image generally controls people’s perceptions of health and fitness. So that slim is synonymous with healthy and fit and certainly does not require any kind of controlled eating.

A very svelte friend of mine has just come back from a week’s detox retreat where she was regularly told off by the much larger participants for not needing to be there because she’s “so skinny”. Why does she need to justify wanting to do something for her health and mind just because she’s thin???



My choice to do the PCP is partly because I want to be able to feel what it’s like to be at the fittest, healthiest and strongest I’ve ever been, but also because I want to take on the metal challenge itself. So I guess it’s an intellectual choice as well as a health choice.

So many people around me are happy to settle for the norm or what they perceive to be satisfactory and, aren’t willing to push themselves in order to be living life at its very peak.

Or, they push themselves in one area only; academically or professionally, to get the best grades and promotions but never get the chance to really challenge their intellect by studying things vastly different to what they read at university or practice at work. And they end up knowing very little about the real world around them. But that’s fine for them, because it’s familiar and comforting.

Which is everything that this PCP is not, and I’m glad!

So despite a few mishaps along the way, this week was great and I’m feeling really positive about next week’s tasks.

Also, I do want to add that lot’s of my friends and family are genuinely impressed by the PCP and very supporting and they particularly love the idea of the blogs, which I must say, is my favourite part!

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Naiomi -- love the "Champagne doesn't have any fat" remark!

    Oh, the open season commentary on skinnies... I know it all too well.

    Just this past week:
    Client: "Why are you eating a salad for lunch?! You're so thin already!"
    Me: "Um," setting a HUGE pile of veg and protein on the table, "maybe because veggies are good for you and I really like salad?"

    *Sigh* I would never up and criticize someone for their eating habits, but rarely do I get the same respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what will power! Way to go! It's funny how people always say "just a little won't hurt!" That's the problem. Just a little of this and a little of that all day adds up.

    Thank you for bringing up the point about thinness. It's such an interesting and frustrating phenomenon. No one would ever ask an overweight person how much they weigh or comment on what they're eating. Yet it's okay to make commentary on someone who's thin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, we did a whole podcast on this once:

    http://zenisstupid.com/?p=143

    It's amazing how some people will actively undermine your efforts. We'll talk about some strategies for dealing with them later. Like you did, focus on the people who support you and don't give to much mental energy to the saboteurs.

    Does anyone pull Tiger Woods to one side and say, "Dude, you're already one of the best golfers in the world, why not just take it easy and skip practice for a few weeks?" And yet this is the same logic of telling a slim person they shouldn't try to get in even better shape.

    Keep rocking it Naomi.

    ReplyDelete