Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A state of mind thing

I don't like throwing food away. Especially if a) it tastes good b) it was homemade and c) it tastes good :(

It feels almost sacrilegious. I feel like I'm doing something incredibly mischievous.

But I can see that this is a state of mind conditioning process and I appreciate this for the following reasons;
(i) since eating my mini-portions, I don't feel hungry after a meal, at all.

(ii) I do find that I need to ignore my mind when it urges me to finish every last morsel on the plate.

(iii) And every time I eat something, my mind, like clockwork, says "eat it all, it's tasty and you'll feel more satisfied if you do"

I don’t feel ‘satisfied’ by eating everything on my plate – why would I? That’s a false sense of security I’m conditioned to believe. So that begs the question; why did I eat more than I needed to before?

I'm not going to be hard on myself at this stage in the game and try to psychoanalyse my eating habits, as I'm sure I have more challenged ahead. And I do have self- control when it comes to eating unhealthy food.

But one think I want from this challenge is to get to the stage when I am eating more mindfully by habit, and where I’m no longer compelled to eat every last crumb, just because it's sitting on a plate in front of me.

4 comments:

  1. Here here! You're right. It's a total mental thing. For example, there was an open bag of almonds sitting on my counter earlier, and I immediately started walking toward it. Not because I was hungry but b/c it was there. I had to stop myself and say, wait! Do you really want to waste a half portion on nuts you're not really hungry for?

    The mini portions ARE totally satisfying (and rewarding b/c you don't have that gross full feeling), but is a week long enough to recondition ourselves? I'm sure Patrick has a plan for this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily sounds like you're a Mallory eater...

    http://pcpupdate.blogspot.com/2009/08/3-techniques-to-disarm-mallory-eating.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are catching on with letting your mind control more than what we are taught. Your right, why is the amount randomly placed on our plate "exactly" what satisfies us? Never quite thought of it that way. Good job!

    ReplyDelete