Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Day 78: Sprint finale

Well not quite the finale yet, but since I'm off on my trip at the end of the week, this may well be one of my last posts.

Whilst the PCP diet has eased up a bit now, the workout has reached a new height of intensity so it looks like it's going to be quite the sprint finale.

I remember at the outset of the PCP, that I was really hung up on missing out food with strong flavours. I was dead set on making a really tasty PCP friendly tomato ketchup and I also found a good healthy substitute for salt; cumin seeds, which I still advocate and will use as a substitute for salt from now on, whenever I feel I need a bit of a purge.

I remember complaining about having to eat 5 "boring" egg whites a day, thinking up what spices and herb combinations I could add to eggs to make them more palatable.

Now I don't even think about flavour when I eat them. I just eat them, plain and boiled, because I know they're good for me. And that's enough for me to enjoy them now. Well, maybe not enjoy, but appreciate them.



Now, in 12 week of the PCP, my taste in foods has changed, I no longer crave the strong fake, flavours of Marmite, Ketchup and other salty snacks. I'm more than happy to eat simple, natural foods with natural flavours like avocado, porridge oats, berries, apples.

It would now feel improper to add salt to food. The foods that nature provides, each have their own distinct taste and do not need added salt! It's only from eating a diet based on fake foods that we desire artificially strong flavours in everything we eat.



I'm not saying I'd never eat a pizza or take away again, but I've developed a real appreciation for real food now and I no longer have the desire to disguise real food with tonnes of salt, sauces and condiments.

In fact the idea makes me feel a bit queasy just thinking about it.

If I don't get to post again during this project, I just wanted to say thank you to my fellow PCPers, for you motivation, support and funny, thoughtful and inspiring blogs. It has been great taking this challenge with you all and seeing us all change! Good luck to Emily, Jonti, Shelly and Denise - You've done great so far and I can't wait to see the end results.

I also want to thank Patrick and Chen for your guidance and consistent encouragement throughout. This has been a great journey in so many ways and has tested me to my limits and I would definitely come back to do the advanced project.

Although I've still about 12 more days to go until I finish, even at this stage, I am the strongest, healthiest and fittest I've ever been and I have more vitality than I can remember ever having before!

I hope to keep you updating throughout my travels.

Happy holidays and New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you look great, Naomi—you're glowing!

    India is on my "to travel to" list. I hope you have the best time on your trip and have an opportunity to let us know how it's going (and send pictures!)

    Great work, and good luck—it's the final countdown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Emily is right -- you're completely radiant in your closing shot! If you feel half as good as you look, then I'm pretty sure that the PCP did you right.

    Best wishes as you go off to explore India!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Naomi!

    So proud of you for so many things. Thank you for keeping us informed on this side of the pond, and for sticking through some tough times. Your body has definitely changed for the better and I can tell this had brought new ideas into your life.

    Check back in now and again just to let us know how incredibly wonderful India is for you. We are all envious and would love a vicarious image or two. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great experience in India. Been there for work. Mumbai, Vishk, etc. Hope you can post from there. If not, its been a pleasure working out with you!

    ReplyDelete