Saturday, November 7, 2009

Day 54: Walking the plank

Why is the plank the least enjoyable exercise?

It's not just the least enjoyable, but for me, it's just torture. I hate downloading the day's workout to find that plank is sitting at the end of the sheet, taunting me.

I just do not like doing the plank.

I have variable feelings towards the other exercises, sometimes I enjoy them, sometimes they're boring. But with the plank, there is consistent mutual dislike; I'm convinced plank dislikes like me too!



But I actually don't think plank is the toughest exercise physically. I just think it's the most mentally challenging.

It's the only exercise where you a) are in an uncompromising position and b) can do nothing but observe the pain as it accumulates.

With every other exercise, it's easy to get distracted by the motion. Your mind is occupied by the movement of the muscles and limbs. And so the pain is secondary, or at least right up until the last few moments.

With plank on the other hand, from the word go, you are completely surrendered to the pose, if you're not in form, you're no longer in the pose - in this way it's a like yoga.

And because you are not moving, and totally focused on your body and the active muscles, you are equally as focused on the pain.

I've tried everything to psychologically beat plank; I've tried embracing the pain, almost meditating into it. That was awful, don't go there. I've tried music or talking. I've tried counting. But the thing is, to become distracted invariably results in losing the form.

This to me, is why plank is such a beast. So when I came across Corry's post , describing a variation to the plank, I just had to try it out.

I wish I had found this earlier.

She introduced a ‘donkey kick’ into the pose, which probably makes the plank more physically challenging, but actually, because variety was introduced, it made it more enjoyable to do.

Also to go into downward dog in between sets is such a treat. It feels like a big yawn!

And in fact, because plank is the last exercise in the routine, once finished, it feels quite natural to go straight into some rounds of sun salutation.

If like me, you also dread ‘plank days’ I would definitely recommend you read Corry’s post and try it yourself. Tell me what you think about it. Personally, it’s changed my view of walking the plank.

10 comments:

  1. I have a secret technique to get through planks, but I'll only tell if 5 people ask for it in the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Patrick, I'll bite -- what's the secret to planks?

    Naomi, you're totally right that the plank is like a challenging yoga posture. I've got a teacher that uses them in her class all the time (but not for 60 sec.!).

    Love the downward dog suggestion -- totally going to try that today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick, do tell—what IS the plank secret?

    Naomi, I hate them too! I liked them at first (as I believe Patrick said). You know, when they were only 30 secs. Ugh, I groan my way through them every time.

    Thanks for sharing Corry's tip! I'm definitely going to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh crikies! I only just now looked at today's workout sheet and see we have to do them again. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is probably one of my most important exercises and my most painful. I have a low lumbar herniated disk, so keeping my core strong is critical. Doing this exercise just a little wrong or pushing through pain with too much arrogance can results in days of pain and anti-inflammatories.

    Any secrets to make this a better friend would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm biting too. Tell us O Great One...the secret of da'plank!

    I actually liked the plank UNTIL it got above 30 second hold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! 60 seconds is a life sentence! No one I know can hold the plank for 60 seconds! How good are we??! So Patrick, what's the secret?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'll chime in here 'cause I'm interested in Patrick's secret too.

    Back then, 60-second planks were tough and there was no way I could do them with 15 second breaks in between.

    Nowadays, it's not too bad. But you still have some time (and more surprises) before you get there!

    Everyone's doing great so far!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok ok, here's the secret.

    As you do your plank, imagine that you're surrounded by 3 or 4 Japanese men in Yukata (short Kimono) who are smacking the crap out of your back with split bamboo sticks that go "Thwack" with every blow.

    Planks become a breeze with this imagery, I promise!

    ReplyDelete