Friday, November 20, 2009

Day 67: An apple a day......


It's always nice to receive validation that a goal you're working towards is worthy.
Patrick is a great coach and his daily words of wisdom are much appreciated.

However, Patrick has a vested interest in our progress on the PCP and, he has taken part in the PCP himself.

So he believes in it. Obviously.

If he didn’t, I certainly wouldn’t have taken it up.

But when I hear from non-PCPers, who are health professionals or those who work in the fitness industry, that the steps I'm taking on the PCP are creditable, worthy, meaningful, it’s like receiving a big red waxy stamp of authenticity. It feels great.

For example, I picked up a pamphlet from some health magazine, which was promoting health and fitness for women. It read:
"If you exercise regularly, the latest studies show you (women) need around 1.8g of protein per kg of body mass, per day. For an average 70g woman, that means a whopping 126g of protein" ( That's about 5 1/4 eggs or 3 cans of tuna)

It also read; "protein is vital for healthy hair, skin, nails and general well-being" AND...

"protein helps to tone and shape your body after exercise and boosts the metabolic rate to shift fat"... and it went on.....

Nice.

Bite sized little nuggets of motivation. Geared to a woman's sensibilities.

It made me smile when I read it. I though, “I am already doing that!“

But of course, I know I'm doing the right thing because I can see and feel the effects of my PCP lifestyle.

BUT... It's always good to receive that pat on the back, isn’t it?

I spent the weekend with my friend who's a doctor. She was impressed to see my new toned physique and ,when it came round to doing my exercise that evening (which I did at her place) she actually wanted to do the 4 sets of 60 second planks with me!

We also did some yoga with her little boys the next day. She was really keen to hear about the PCP and expressed interest in doing it herself. I would just love it if she did!

We spent a lot of the weekend talking about various health issues. How lacking the BMI is, how important it is to teach children from an early age how to make the best food choices. Being a doctor and a mum, she obviously spends a lot of time with health on her mind.

One thing she said that stuck in my head is that she sees so many patients on a daily basis and she can instantly tell just by looking at some of them, what kind of lifestyles they lead. And, how they prove that the way you lead your life in your younger years is directly related to how you will probably look and feel in older age.

She said before she even asks some patients, she already knows whether or not they are smokers, just by the discolouration of their skin, and even hair if it’s excessive long-term smoking.

Both of my parents look so young for their age. And genes aside, it's probably because they had me and my sisters, when they were in their early 20s, stopped drinking and partying when I was born and have since lead really health consciously.

Most people know all of this, but rarely do people have the impetus to invest into their health for their future. It’s a bit like me knowing the PCP is worthwhile but still feeling somewhat surprised when I read an article that lists that everything I’m already doing is the key to living a long, healthy, happy life. People often need a doctor to tell them to stop smoking or lose weight before they do stop.

I often speak to friends who are cynical about the PCP; they don’t understand the commitment factor. They feel that it's all about deprivation, or vanity, or it’s just too excessive and strict. Or they probably feel that I'm just boring, because I’m not drinking.

I tend not to go into why I’m committed to the PCP too much, as they always answer their own doubts anyway and ALWAYS conclude by saying "But you do look great!" And I always say "I feel great". Because I really do and, these are just two perfectly good reasons to do the PCP.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Naomi! I was at a party this past weekend, and heard similar a spectrum of comments. From, "Oh, you're one of those crazy, exercise people!" to, "Man, I so need to get in shape again."

    I know this was the right choice for me, and as tough as it's been, I'm so glad that I signed up for the PCP. I'll bet each of our group can say exactly the same, and that's pretty awesome.

    Still and all, I'm comforted by something a physician friend said to me when I was just starting this program. I had explained the details over dinner (where I brought my own food), and he was quite impressed. He said, "I wish more people would get on board with this kind of thinking. You're going to look great at the end of this, but I'll bet you're going to feel even better."

    He was so right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Naomi, keep on finding this stuff out for yourself. The funny thing is that the Naomi of 4 months ago would have probably just glazed over that factoid in the magazine. Now you're turned on to all the health information that's floating around out there, and you can build your own knowledge base over the years.

    I'd much rather have clear headed people checking up on our facts and figures than a legion of zombie PCP followers. I want you to, on Day 90, feel absolutely no need for me ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! What a great reminder. I've been running into a lot of the same with some reading for work. It's funny how all the health and fitness projects are finding their way to me lately! My uncle was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and as we rethink how to cook Thanksgiving dinner this year, contributing ideas for healthier options feels like second nature to me. What a revelation!

    Also, I love that your friend did the planks with you. Now that's motivation!

    ReplyDelete